Ravenloft, otherwise known as the Demi-Plane of Dread and Land of Mists was a compilation of many different Domains of Dread. Each Domain of Dread was the name for a collective Cluster of domains or single Island of Terror in the Demi-Plane of Dread.
Geography & Characteristics
All Domains of Dread were entrapped in their own demi-plane of Dread in the Ethereal plane. Each domain was encroached by a Misty Border, preventing escape by anyone within the Domain. There existed four types of Domains of Dread including; Pockets, Islands of Terror, The Core, and Clusters.
Each Domain of Dread was ruled by a Domain lord, or Darklord who had complete control over their domain yet could never leave it. Some sages speculate if each Domain of Dread is in fact an eternal prison for their respective Darklord, created specifically for them by the Dark Powers. In certain cases when a pocket domain or cluster domain were formed, a Darklord could become a demilord of a pocket domain or a overlord of a cluster domain.
The beginning of the Domains of Dread started with the formation of Barovia long before Strahd von Zarovich's entered into the realm. About 547 years after Barovia's creation, most of the Core domains were formed starting with Forlorn. While Strahd was not the most powerful of Darklords was it the first, earning him his name in the history of the Domains of Dread.
Notable Domains and their Darklords
- Barovia, ruled by Strahd von Zarovich, the oldest and first Domain of Dread.
- Darkon, ruled by Azalin
- Har'Akir, overseen by Anhktepot
- Hazlan, lead by Hazlik
- I'Cath, ruled by Tsien Chiang
- Kartakass, captained by Harkon Lukas
See List of Domains
It is heavily derived from outside places, including established settings, including Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, Greyhawk, Dark Sun, Masque of the Red Death, Mystara, Eberron, Birthright, and Pathfinder.
It is named after two castles named Castle Ravenloft, the first of which is ironically outside of the Ravenloft setting.
- Domains of Dread article at the Forgotten Realms Wiki, a wiki for the Forgotten Realms campaign setting.
- William W. Connors, Steve Miller (1997). Domains of Dread. (TSR, Inc.). ISBN 978-0786-9067-27.
- Andria Hayday & Bruce Nesmith (1990). Realm of Terror. (TSR, Inc.). ISBN 0-88038-853-6.
- Bruce Nesmith, Andria Hayday, William W. Connors (1994). Realm of Terror (Revised). (TSR, Inc.). ISBN 1-56076-942-4.
- John Mangrum, Andrew Wyatt, Andrew Cermak (October 15, 2001). Ravenloft Campaign Setting 3rd edition. (Arthaus). ISBN 978-1588460752.
- William W. Connors, Steve Miller (1997). Domains of Dread. (TSR, Inc.), p. 19. ISBN 978-0786-9067-27.
- William W. Connors, Steve Miller (1997). Domains of Dread. (TSR, Inc.), pp. 12–13. ISBN 978-0786-9067-27.
- William W. Connors, Steve Miller (1997). Domains of Dread. (TSR, Inc.), pp. 16–17. ISBN 978-0786-9067-27.